Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The New Girl

So I had my first real session with the new therapist this morning.

Impression?  She was ok.  I am going to find it really hard not to compare her to Y.H though, but that is expected, right??.  Really hard.

I think I can work with her, I just have to get used to her first, and how she works.

 I must say though, I have never been to see a therapist who used flip charts to describe the way the brain works....I was a bit put off by it at first.  But as she explained more about what it all meant and how she incorporates it into her method of therapy the more...... confused I got.  LOL!

But not really.

I have a sense of why the visual was useful.  As I am a very visual person, and seeing her method rather than J.O telling me in her words I KNOW that I would have been lost otherwise.  And then my first impression may have been a lot different.

So there we are sitting in her nicely decorated but cramped office with probably 3 feet between us, her slightly off to the right; I think because at our first meeting I mentioned my need for personal space and my quirk about eye contact.  Anyway, we chatted briefly about what is going on in my life right now, and what Y.H and I were talking about.  And then out came the flip chart.  Oh, and the first of the many check ins.  Checking in as to how I am feeling about being there, how I feel about the process, the flip chart and at least a half a dozen more.  I mean I like that she does that, the whole check in thing, but really? We only have an hour! and not really, 50 mins. once we settle in.

So back to the flip chart.  I suppose she just wanted to get a sense of how I deal with "Trauma" in general???  Interesting but really? she needs a FLIPPING flip chart???.  Anyway, from what I understand she wants to find out how I deal with certain things and how my body reacts to these things, and after knowing the signals, to use that knowledge to deal with the issue???? I think.  Does that make sense?  I suppose if I really think about it, it does.  Just a different way of thinking about my issues and my reactions to them.

Anyway, I left her office feeling not as uncertain about this new therapist and her methods.

And I interestingly and oddly find myself looking forward to our next session.

1 comment: